[EM] untraceable receipts

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Wed Nov 12 17:38:01 PST 2003

Hi Rob,

On Nov 12, 2003, at 5:08 PM, Rob Speer wrote:

> So you get to confirm that you voted, but not that your vote went to
> the
> person you wanted to vote for?
>
> I don't think that's what people are looking for in verifiability.

Okay, I wasn't entirely clear.

> Then again, it's probably the best kind of verifiablity you can get
> without enabling coercion. But that's a really complicated system for
> such a small gain.

Well, the only other option I can think of is to have a 'trusted third
party' "C".  Each voters 'seed' would be encrypted by C public key, and
can only be decrypted by C.  If C was a completely distinct system,
then voter V could go to a secure location, where their identity would
be verified by other means (e.g., photo ID), and then view the results
of their vote in a secure environment.

This isn't totally anonymous, but it would allow spot-checking in an
environment completely independent of that used by the voting system.

-- Ernie P.

On Nov 12, 2003, at 5:08 PM, Rob Speer wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 04:38:07PM -0800, Ernest Prabhakar wrote:
>>> What was the goal of that receipts???
>>> 1) To remember who you voted for?
>>> or