[EM] touch screen voting machines

David GLAUDE dglaude at gmx.net
Sat Nov 8 15:01:05 PST 2003

In Belgium, there are law that say the administration must be transparent.

So we asked the belgian administration for the code and all detail of
the voting system in use.
It was refused to us saying it would not be secure and all...
Then we went to court... it took a bit of time.
The first step was that they release source code less some security
feature (hashing, checksum, crypto, ...).
Then we won in court and this year the full source code was made
available (no documentation, not a sample floppy image used or
description of the hardware)... just the code.

And one of the program was written in a non standard company specific
language!

I believe it is likely that some law or something in the constitution
say the administration and the election process should be transparent.

But please remember that having the code does not garantee anything
since it can be different from the one running at election day. Also you
have the bios, the OS, the hardware, ...

Good luck.

David GLAUDE