[EM] touch screen voting machines

Eron Lloyd elloyd at lancaster.lib.pa.us
Mon Nov 10 09:18:12 PST 2003

Yes, this is a very interesting subject. Is this the proper mailing list to
also discuss the development and design of the actual voting systems
themselves, because I sure would like to be in that discussion. One of my
biggest questions is whether these "modern" voting systems being purchased
across the country thanks to HAVA et. al. can easily be modified to support
IRV, etc. should the states/counties move to such an election method. Also,
the security issues alone deserve much debate...I've pretty much come to the
point that an electronic system would be good only to ultimately produce a
paper ballot which was then counted, not the other way around.

If anyone is interested, I'm starting a project to develop an "Adaptable
Voting System" using Python and the application framework Qt to produce an
open-source, fully auditable election system that can be used at terminals,
on-line, or other flexible ways to hold elections, and uses generic, open
(XML) formats for the ballot (I'm currently looking at OASIS EML), vote
results, and statistics to then apply different election methods to it
(Approval, IRV, etc.) to watch the different outcomes. Though it will mainly
be a prototype, perhaps something more could come of it.

I feel passionately that open, secure, and fair election systems are the only
way to protect the integrity of modern democracies.

Eron