[EM] RP vs BeatpathWinner, committee clarification

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 14 14:06:16 PST 2003

Mike Ossipoff wrote (14 Mar 2003):
-snip-
>                                        I agree that RP(wv)is
> _slightly_ better than BeatpathWinner, when it comes
> to pure merit. But I also believe that the merit
> difference between RP(wv) and BeatpathWinner/CSSD isn't
> significant, and so my choice of which to recommend
> or propose is based on which can be more easily proposed
> to a particular group, or would be better accepted by
> that group. So I go by proposability & acceptability
> rather than by pure merit, when the merit difference
> is so slight.

Something to consider is that it will help in public acceptability if
a method has already been used successfully.  This is an argument
that can be interpreted in two opposite ways: If Mike is right that
he/we can persuade small organizations to adopt BeatpathWinner but
not MAM, then in the long run BeatpathWinner may be more readily
accepted by the public, after years of its use within small
organizations.  But if he's wrong, meaning he/we can persuade small
organizations to use MAM if he/we try, then that would make it easier
in the long run to achieve public acceptability of a voting method
that meets the criteria he/we consider most important. (Minimal
defense, clone independence, maybe a few others, if I'm not
mistaken.)

My own experiences explaining the merits of MAM to laypeople are only
anecdotal (as I assume is the case with all of us regarding all
methods) but I haven't yet found any particular sticking points with
MAM.  After teaching how multiple majority preferences exist when
there are more than two alternatives, it is natural to explain
affirming the majority preferences, one at a time from largest to
smallest, that don't conflict with those already affirmed. (It was
natural enough that Condoret also came up with the idea.)

There's a second, equivalent definition of MAM--find the ordering of
candidates that minimizes the largest "thwarted" majority--that some
people may find appealing. (That's yet another kind of "minimax", or
more precisely a "minileximax," and is the definition I used when I
developed MAM, originally called "Minimize Thwarted Majorities," or
MTM.  Only later did I realize it's equivalent to affirming the
majority preferences, one at a time from largest to smallest, that
don't conflict with those already affirmed.)

> I also agree of course that MAM is better, when it
> comes to criterion compliances, than the RP(wv) version
> that I propose. The RP(wv) proposals differ in how they
> deal with equally strongest unconsidered defeats. MAM
> uses random ordering to solve those midcount ties, while
> my proposal, which has been called "deterministic#1"
> avoids random tiebreaking except if the method returns
> more than 1 winner.

It is misleading to say MAM uses a random ordering.  MAM uses an
ordering constructed by the Random Voter Hierarchy procedure (RVH, a
generalization of Random Dictator) and this is not a random ordering.
For instance, an RVH ordering ranks clones together and satisfies
strong Pareto, whereas a random ordering may rank non-clones between
clones and may rank Pareto-dominated alternatives over their Pareto-
dominatrices.  Also, an RVH ordering satisfies a variation of
monotonicity, in that upranking a candidate increases its chance of
being ranked higher in the RVH ordering, whereas the candidate's
chance is unaffected in a random ordering.

> I don't deny that MAM is better than deterministic#1,
> but, again, my proposal choices are governed by
> what will be most easily accepted. I'm not even claiming
> for sure that deterministic#1 is more likely to be
> accepted than MAM is--it's just my subjective impression
> that it might be.

My hunch is that many people will accept the opinions of trusted
experts, who are likely to distinguish on the basis of technical
merit (that is, criteria compliance).

> How deterministic#1 deals with equally strongest unconsidered defeats:
>
> Call those defeats the tie defeats.
>
> A tie defeat is "qualified" if it isn't in a cycle
> consisting only of itself and some already-kept defeats.
>
> Keep each qualified defeat that isn't in a cycle
> in which every defeat is either qualified or already-kept.
>
> [end of instruction]
>
> Deterministic#1 is more likely to return more than
> 1 winner than some other versions, and I don't know if
> it always meets Monotonicity & ICC. But it doesn't bother
> me if it violates them only if there are several equally
> strongest unkept defeats.

I seem to recall that when I looked at "Deterministic#1" a couple of
years ago, it violated monotonicity.  I don't remember checking for
clone independence.  It must have had some flaw that I thought
significant at the time, or I would have dumped MAM in its favor.

I'd be interested in seeing the demonstration that D#1 is more likely
to return more than one winner.  Was it a proof or the result of
simulations?  It would strike me as odd that some people would accept
increased overall randomness to avoid "midcount" randomness.

It's reasonable to neglect those flaws in large public elections,
since they can't occur without equally strong majorities and that
would be very rare in large public elections. In fact, I don't see a
compelling reason to talk about tiebreaking in that context, just as
Instant Runoff advocates don't talk about tiebreaking when two or
more candidates have the same equally smallest vote count in some
iteration.  Have they encountered problems due to IRV's occasional
need to resolve "midcount ties?"  Depending on how they break those
ties, IRV might not be completely independent of clones.  For
instance, if they eliminate all candidates having equally smallest
vote count, that would lose clone independence.

But in small committees the flaws could occur more frequently, and
flaws like clone dependence might be exploitable.

>From my observations of committee voting, they don't seem to mind
using a chairperson's vote as a tiebreaker.  So some organizations
might find it appealing to use the chairperson's vote as the tiebreak
ordering used by RP and other methods.

-- Steve Eppley