[EM] RP vs BeatpathWinner, committee clarification

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 13 20:31:01 PST 2003

Steve wrote:

In a recent message I erred when I said Mike Ossipoff
considers MAM best in both committees and public elections,
judging by his recent messages in EM that say he thinks
it's better in public elections but not in committees.

I reply:

No error or contradiction. I agree that RP(wv)is
_slightly_ better than BeatpathWinner, when it comes
to pure merit. But I also believe that the merit
difference between RP(wv) and BeatpathWinner/CSSD isn't
significant, and so my choice of which to recommend
or propose is based on which can be more easily proposed
to a particular group, or would be better accepted by
that group. So I go by proposability & acceptability
rather than by pure merit, when the merit difference
is so slight.

I also agree of course that MAM is better, when it
comes to criterion compliances, than the RP(wv) version
that I propose. The RP(wv) proposals differ in how they
deal with equally strongest unconsidered defeats. MAM
uses random ordering to solve those midcount ties, while
my proposal, which has been called "deterministic#1"
avoids random tiebreaking except if the method returns
more than 1 winner.

I don't deny that MAM is better than deterministic#1,
but, again, my proposal choices are governed by
what will be most easily accepted. I'm not even claiming
for sure that deterministic#1 is more likely to be
accepted than MAM is--it's just my subjective impression
that it might be.

How deterministic#1 deals with equally strongest unconsidered defeats:

Call those defeats the tie defeats.

A tie defeat is "qualified" if it isn't in a cycle
consisting only of itself and some already-kept defeats.

Keep each qualified defeat that isn't in a cycle
in which every defeat is either qualified or already-kept.

[end of instruction]

Deterministic#1 is more likely to return more than
1 winner than some other versions, and I don't know if
it always meets Monotonicity & ICC. But it doesn't bother
me if it violates them only if there are several equally
strongest unkept defeats.

Mike Ossipoff