Comment re: Ranked Pairs (was Re: [EM] MinMax variant)

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Mar 10 13:12:03 PST 2003

Markus Schulze wrote:
> Steve Eppley wrote:
>> That's why I think the best method is a variation of Ranked Pairs
>> which I call Maximize Affirmed Majorities, or MAM.
>
> In so far as you have always considered Mike Ossipoff to be
> authoritative, I would like to know what you think about the
> fact that he doesn't promote Ranked Pairs anymore at his
> web pages.

Mike Ossipoff has recently written to me that he considers
MAM to be the best voting method for committees and public
elections, which means his web pages (maintained by Russ
Paielli) are merely out of date.

I agree with Mike that MAM is best, but I don't agree with
him on everything. (For example, I have a much lower
opinion of Approval than he has.)   So I don't understand
what Markus means when he claims I've always considered
Mike to be "authoritative." (Perhaps Markus should define
the threshold between authoritative and non-authoritative,
since he uses the term in an absolutist way.)  I don't
consider Mike to be more authoritative than Markus or
myself.

See www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley for the definition of
MAM and rigorous proofs that it satisfies numerous
criteria.

-- Steve Eppley