[EM] Re: MC -1, 0, 1 --- STV hybrid

Venzke Kevin stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Mar 5 23:54:04 PST 2003

Chris Benham a écrit:
> I have just composed a very expressive (elect-one
person) election method , and not as a joke.

Why do you say "not as a joke"?  Are you perhaps
thinking that my post of yesterday was a joke?

I haven't put a ton of thought into the system you
described, but it immediately occurs to me that it may
not be useful to have a "disapprove" option.  For one
thing, people will want to "disapprove" every
candidate that they do not "approve," in order to
maximize the effect of their vote.  The (candidates -
2) limit for disapproval won't be effective on voters
who approve at least 2 candidates.

Additionally, I think it's generally agreed that it's
not good for the voting system to consider the number
of candidates.  It invites "clone problems."  For
instance, in your system, with only two candidates, it
is not possible for voters to disapprove anyone.  But
if one of those two candidates also enters his sister
into the race, it's now possible for their supporters
to disapprove the competitor.  The competitors'
supporters can disapprove one candidate, as well, but
there are two candidates they would like to
disapprove.

> The restriction on the number of Disapprovals is
> mainly to make it impossible for all the candidates
> be Disapproved by the majority.

You must be assuming that there won't be many
candidates.  If there are ten candidates, all could be
disapproved by a majority.

Looking at your system closer, and assuming that no
one has a majority of first-place rankings or
approval, we jump to step 3:

> 3. If there were no candidates who were Approved by
> the majority, then eliminate all candidates marked
as
> Disapproved by the majority

Thus I think this is a serious problem.  You could
easily eliminate all the candidates here.

> I think that there should be few strategy problems.

I think the problems will be comparable to other
systems.  It's probably better than IRV.

Yours

Kevin Venzke