[EM] MC -1, 0, 1 --- STV hybrid

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 5 15:16:04 PST 2003

This is my first posting here. I have just composed  a very expressive
(elect-one person) election method , and not as a joke.
Voters number  candidates in order of preference, and also mark
candidates as Approved  and up to
number of candidates minus 2  as  Disapproved (or  Unacceptable).
1. A candidate who is ranked number 1 on more than half  the ballots wins.
2. If no result, if there is one and only one candidate who marked as
Approved by the majority, then that candidate wins. If the set of
candidates Approved by the majority has more than one member, then all
non-members are eliminated and their preferences are transferred. If  a
candidate now has a majority  then that candidate wins. If  not, then
the numbered rankings are abandoned, and the winner is the candidate
with the highest  Approvals minus  Disapprovals tally.
3. If  there were no candidates who were Approved by the majority, then
eliminate all candidates marked as Disapproved by the majority and
transfer their preferences  and proceed as before.
If  a candidate has a majority they win. If no result, then abandon the
numbered rankings  and elect the candidate with the highest  Approvals
minus Disapprovals score.
A vote with as little as just the number 1 or a single Approval or
Disapproval will be valid. The restriction on the number of
 Disapprovals is mainly to make it impossible for  all the candidates to
be Disapproved  by the majority.
I  think  that there should be few strategy problems. I  am  interested
in any comments, but I don't promise to (immediately) understand them.
               Chris Benham