[EM] Who did you say won?

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Mar 3 20:13:51 PST 2003

Josh Narins wrote:

>BUSH IS A SHIT EATING MONKEY

This is merely the worst example from a thread that has long since strayed
off topic.  I understand that we're here to talk about elections, but the
issue of the 2000 Florida recount is only tangentially related to the
issues of election method theory.  It's appropriate to say, for example,
that approval voting is easier to count and avoids some of the issues that
cropped up in the recount.  But any relation of the recount to election
method theory went out the window a while ago on this thread.

I'm not totally against off-topic posts here, but let's try to keep it to a
minimum.  Remember that lots of people get these messages, and a lot of
them don't care about the Florida recount (or, they read about these issues
and made up their own mind a long time ago).  The signal-to-noise ratio is
bad enough around here lately without people knowingly making it worse.

And yes, I'm aware of the irony of posting off topic to this list in order
to decry that exact practice, so don't bother pointing it out.  It was
reluctance to do this that kept me quiet up to now.

-Adam

P.S.  Josh, in response to another off-topic post of yours - I'd be happy
to bet you $20 that Israel does not attack Iraq in the event of a US/Iraq
war, regardless of whether Iraq attacks Israel.

----