Wrong claim that FBC checks a method (Re: [EM] MinMax variant

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Fri Mar 7 21:58:01 PST 2003

At 03\03\07 10:42 -0800 Friday, Forest Simmons wrote:
 >Has anybody ever proposed minimizing the maximum opposition rather than
 >minimizing the maximum defeat?
 >
 >I know that theoretically this could elect the Condorcet Loser, but it
 >seems very unlikely that it would do so.
 >
 >It seems to me that if equality were allowed in the rankings, then this
 >method would satisfy the FBC, since ranking Favorite equal with Compromise
 >wouldn't increase opposition against Compromise.

It is fairly obvious that there is no FBC rule.
If you were any good at topic of preferential voting then you would have
converted FBC into an algebraic quantifier logic formulation.

How is FBC defined now but you failed to get the definition out in this
message:

 >From:  Forest Simmons <fsimmons at p...>
 >Date:  Thu Sep 6, 2001  2:13 am
 >Subject:  Re: [EM] FBC (Favorite Betrayal Criterion) Definition
 >
 >My try at formalizing the definition of FBC didn't quite capture the
 >concept.
 >
 >Here's a corrected version:
 >
 >As before W(C,S,M) is True if and only if candidate C wins when the set S
 >of ballots is processed by method M.

Given that you didn't test a method with the rule, and also did
not define a replacement FBC rule, then perhaps you would stop suggesting
that it seems the FBC is defined.

One of the first things to ask: was there any intent to have FBC
test a preferential voting method like the Alternative Vote.

MR OSSIPOFF (was Otisoff until the unexplained name change [any comments
MIKE ?]) has failed to povide a definition of the word "over" in FBC
that is precise over these ideas:

   (1) there are two uses of "over" for the two cases;
   (2) what power does an "over" word have to stop other ballot checkboxes
        from being altered ?
   (3) FBC and its overs it seems to be so stupid that it is true that
        "over" is perfectly undefined for STV style ballot papers when
         the last checkbox is not filled in.

MIKE and Mr FOREST SIMMONS obstruct inquiries.

A consequence of their thinking is wide river of lies on FBC.

The Americans have been so dominant with wrong thinking that about
11 30-message pages show up on FBC at the Yahoogroups website when a
search is done:

A river of lying about FBC.

A thread titled 'lying about FBC' gets washed into the history of the
archives without members spotting the issue.