[EM] Saari's Basic Argument

Steve Barney barnes99 at vaxa.cis.uwosh.edu
Sat Mar 1 15:45:27 PST 2003

Forest:

What do you mean by "the order of removal isn't important as along as you
recognize that whenever you have two non-adjacent factions left, more symmetry
reduction is possible."

I showed you with my example:

3:A>B>C
5:A>C>B
0:C>A>B
5:C>B>A
0:B>C>A
5:B>A>C

that the order of those operations matters in some cases. Please show me what
you mean.

SB

--- In election-methods-list at yahoogroups.com, Forest Simmons <fsimmons at p...>
wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Steve Barney wrote:
>
> > Forest:
> >
> > Apparently, as I thought, your method of decomposition is to simply to
remove
> > cycles first, and then reversals. My point remains, then, that your
> > decomposition method does NOT NECESSARILY yield the same outcome as
Saari's
> > matrix decomposition method.
>
> Actually, the order of removal isn't important as along as you recognize
> that whenever you have two non-adjacent factions left, more symmetry
> reduction is possible.  In other words, you can reduce the total number of
> ballots in the set by addition and subtraction of cycles and reverse
> pairs.
>
> I don't know if Saari is aware of this or not.
[...]

Steve Barney

Richard M. Hare, 1919 - 2002, In Memoriam: <http://www.petersingerlinks.com/Hare/>.

Did you know there is a web site where, if you click on a button, the advertisers there will donate 2 1/2 cups of food to feed hungry people in places where there is a lot of starvation? See:
<http://www.thehungersite.com>.

----