[EM] Is Condorcet The Turkey?

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Sat Jun 21 05:25:01 PDT 2003

Eric Gorr wrote (20 June 2003):
> First, it's not my method - I just implemented it. It came from Mike
> Ossipoff. As to it's origins...it's probably buried in an archive
> somewhere. He was calling it Ranked Pairs - Deterministic #1(wv)

Ranked Pairs has been proposed by Tideman in 1987. This has been
mentioned already when this method has been introduced to this
mailing list for the first time in 1997. Neither Ossipoff nor Eppley
claim that they have discovered this method independently from
Tideman.

1. T. Nicolaus Tideman, "Independence of Clones as a Criterion for
   Voting Rules," Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 4, p. 185-206,
   1987,
2. Thomas M. Zavist, T. Nicolaus Tideman, "Complete Independence
   of Clones in the Ranked Pairs Rule," Social Choice and Welfare,
   vol. 6, p. 167-173, 1989,
3. Jonathan Levin, Barry Nalebuff, "An Introduction to Vote-Counting
   Schemes," Journal of Economic Perspectives, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 3-26,
   1995,
4. http://www.condorcet.org/rp/index.shtml

Markus Schulze