[EM] Two Points Agreed AKA the trap of thinking every political culture is like yours

Dgamble997 at aol.com Dgamble997 at aol.com
Fri Jun 13 00:08:36 PDT 2003

Dave Ketchum Wrote

I am inclined to rank Libertarians in the middle - wanting government to
do less of what the Republicans promote, AND less of what the Democrats
promote

Point agreed. As a result of my posting I was helpfully sent an E-mail by a
list member directing me to the Libertarian web site. The Libertarians cannot
be easily positioned on a single left-right dimension. The mix of ideas that
constitute the Libertarian platform simply wouldn't 'hang together' in a British
context and some of the ideas wouldn't hang at all.

Dave also wrote

You seem to assume more purity of candidates obeying party platforms than
exists here. Anyone can be a member of whatever party they choose, get to
primary election via petition (or whatever the law says in their state),
and win the primary if they convince enough voters. Not always essential
to be a member of a party to do the above and become the party's candidate.

Again point agreed. In Britain if an MP fails to follow the party line (
within broad boundaries) or behaves in a manner perceived to be contrary  to the
party's interests that member can be suspended from the party ( withdrawl of
the whip), expelled by the party or deselected by the constituency association.

An MP who has been expelled or deselected cannot stand as the official party
candidate. If s/he wishes to retain the seat s/he will have to fight as an
independent against the official candidate.

Candidate selection procedures vary from party to party but are completely
different to the American primary system. The definition of party member is
tighter in Britain than America you don't just register as Democrat, Republican or
Independent. Candidate selection is considered an internal matter for the
party and its members - national or local laws relating to candidate selection
procedure basically don't exist and wouldn't be considered appropriate. For all
British parties that I can think of an essential prerequisite to being a
party's candidate is being a member of that party.

David Gamble