[EM] Is Condorcet The Turkey?

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Fri Jun 20 13:23:02 PDT 2003

At 12:58 PM -0700 6/20/03, Forest Simmons wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Eric Gorr wrote:
>
>  > At 12:08 PM -0700 6/20/03, Forest Simmons wrote:
>>  >If the voters know that ties are going to result in the speaker of the
>...snip...
>>... to arrange a tie.
>>
>>  They can still try to arrange a tie with Eppley's method as well,
>>  forcing a random choice to be made.
>
>True, though a random tie breaker would seem more impartial than a
>systematic one.

But a decision had already been made on how to handle ties.

A voting system should not, imho, circumvent something that had
already been decided upon - probably by a vote.

Now, if they wanted to determine a tie via random choice, that is
certainly an option, but only if the tie was going to be reported
first.

>I guess I didn't read Eppley close enough to understand that he wanted to
>hide the fact of a tie from the voters.
>
>Perhaps he could clarify the matter better than I.
>
>If your method is the same as Eppley's MAM in all other respects, then
>perhaps we could say that you are one of those geniuses that independently
>(re)discovered a great method:-)

First, it's not my method - I just implemented it. It came from Mike
Ossipoff. As to it's origins...it's probably buried in an archive
somewhere. He was calling it Ranked Pairs - Deterministic #1(wv)

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu