[EM] Is Condorcet The Turkey?

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Thu Jun 19 09:45:02 PDT 2003

(Meant to reply to this sooner)

At 5:22 PM -0700 6/13/03, Forest Simmons wrote:
>And Condorcet is much better than IRV for reasons that I have tried to
>elucidate in recent postings.  See Steve Eppley's web page for additional
>explanations of why his version of Ranked Pairs is about as close as you
>can get to the ideal.

Yes, Steve has a very good analysis (www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley)
of his version of RP.

The only problem that I have with it is that I still don't understand
why it is necessary or even a good idea to hide a genuine tie from
those running an election.

It is only (I *think*) his random selection to solve ambiguities that
his method differs from the one that I have implemented
(http://www.ericgorr.net/condorcet/).

It would seem to me to be far better to simply report the tie and let
those running the election to decide how to resolve it.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu