[EM] Summability

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Fri Jul 25 02:14:02 PDT 2003

Dear Kevin,

you wrote (25 July 2003):
> I'm having trouble imagining how this principle could be applied.  Perhaps
> I'm not understanding the term "strategically."  My thought is that a method's
> strategy should be as simple as possible (i.e. require as little information
> and calculation as possible) so that informed and uninformed voters basically
> play on a level field.

The task of an election method is to find the best candidate according to
a given heuristic. Therefore, every strategical behaviour is undesirable.

The common opinion is that it should be as expensive as possible to get
the needed information to develop and run a strategy so that it is as
unattractive as possible to run a strategy and so that the advantage of
the richer voters is as small as possible.

Markus Schulze