[EM] PR, Approval ballots, "power"

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Mon Jul 21 07:17:02 PDT 2003

At 21:16 +0200 11.7.2003, Kevin Venzke wrote:
>(I'm rather ignorant about PR and PAV, so here's hoping no one finds
>this message
>laughable.)

PAV, Proportional Approval Voting, is an invention by Forest Simmons
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/message/6391

Sequential PAV
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/message/8744

The sequential form is a reinvention of a method of professor Thiele,
from Copenhagen, which was criticized by professor Phragmén from
Stockholm, validly , I think.

Here's a description of Phragmén's method
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/message/10276
In a preferential form, it's still part of Sweden's electoral law but
in actual practice it's a closed list. The oldest reference I've
found to the original method is a short article in French in 1894.

These are approval methods, Phragmén explicitly mentions that the
restriction on the number of candidates the voter votes for is
unnecessary. It should be mentioned that Phragmén also described an
approval method with a quota.

Olli Salmi