[EM] Who did you say won?

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Mon Feb 24 23:29:08 PST 2003

I've seen most of these assertions before, but I would hardly say that
they constitute "proof".  For one thing all of these sites share a
similar political viewpoint-- for balance you might as well link to some
far right-wing sites to get the other side of the story.  For another, I
don't know how you'd go about verifying most of these claims.  Although
Palast does seem to go out of his way to point out that some of his work
was carried by the BBC, which I had always considered to be a member of
the "mass media".

One of Palast's statements seems particularly implausible: "...on the
Florida ballots voter race is listed."  I have never heard of
identifying information, let alone race, being listed on a modern U.S.
ballot.  Are there any Florida voters here who can confirm this?  If so,
there's a good place to start reforming.

At any rate, all of this emotion over an essentially tied election seems
like a waste to me.  Election fraud, the electoral college, campaign
finance reform-- none of these can have much effect unless the election
is close to begin with.  If there is a "rightful winner" other than the
declared one, then as far as I'm concerned it should be the unknowable
candidate who was excluded due to Duverger's Law and and our plurality
system.

Bart

----