[EM] Election methods Wiki

Rob Speer rspeer at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 23 09:55:02 PST 2003

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 12:27:39PM +0100, Bjarke Dahl Ebert wrote:
> That is just what a Wiki can do. Therefore I propose that we set one up.
> I would be happy to provide the web-space for it. See e.g.
> http://trebe.dk/wiki/index.php/ElectionMethods/HomePage. It's almost empty now, but
> I guess it could quickly be filled with something meaningful.
>
> If such an initiative already exists, please inform me - I don't want to clone an
> already existing Wiki.

I had been thinking that such a thing would be useful. Thank you for
setting it up.

The one thing I'm afraid of is that the fact that allows a Wiki to work
- namely, that you can trust your intended users not to want to
interfere with discussion - doesn't necessarily work regarding election
methods. People get _very_ political and defensive over election
methods, as we can see.

You should probably make a rule about /Talk pages, like Wikipedia. That
is, factual information about "Foo" goes on the Foo page, while
discussion, opinions, and arguments about Foo or the contents of the Foo
page go on Foo/Talk. Otherwise you're going to see, for example, this:

CSSD
* It always chooses a winner from the Smith Set.
* It is cloneproof.
* It does not meet the later-no-harm criterion.
* It does not meet the Participation criterion.
* It is a LOWER PREFERENCES METHOD supported only by FASCISTS who want
  to elect NADER and DISENFRANCHISE YOU!

--
Rob Speer