[EM] Dan W-J; IRV is 2nd best (=worst); CVD tells Maryland 'no research ever'

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Wed Dec 24 12:17:02 PST 2003

[1b] The Centre of Voting and Democracy told the State of Maryland that
   it does not do research into the best options. Instead it interests
   itself in equal voting minus the fairness-for-other-individuals parts
   or something

[1a] The Alternative Vote (1 winner STV) is 2nd best.

+-----------------------------------+
|Winner: · ·A· · ·|Winner: · ·B· · ·|  Alternative Vote winners
+-----------------------------------+
| Tot: · 513000· ·| Tot: ·1024001· ·|
+-----------------------------------+
|· ·A· · · 1001· ·|· ·A· · 512000· ·| Change = +510999
| * BA · · ·999· ·|· ·BA · · 1001· ·| Change = +2
|· ·CBA· · 1000· ·| * CBA· · 1000· ·|
|· ·DBA· · 2000· ·|· ·DBA· · 2000· ·|
|· ·EBA· · 4000· ·|· ·EBA· · 4000· ·|
|· ·FBA· · 8000· ·|· ·FBA· · 8000· ·|
|· ·GBA· ·16000· ·|· ·GBA· ·16000· ·|
|· ·HBA· ·32000· ·|· ·HBA· ·32000· ·|
|· ·IBA· ·64000· ·|· ·IBA· ·64000· ·|
|· ·JBA· 128000· ·|· ·JBA· 128000· ·|
|· ·KBA· 256000· ·|· ·KBA· 256000· ·|
+-----------------------------------+

I doubt I can get this edited up properly. I am not sure but I may have
left too much in or out. I will CC this off to the CVD lawyer.
Presumably he has a stake in the CVD ideal of knowing far less than
very many people, about the stably named Alternative Vote [I won't
name it STV]

Since about 24 July 2003 the Instant Runoff Message of the
Maryland Center of Voting and Democracy, has been it has been
hooked onto a 1 winner preferential voting methods that is
NOT the best.

On that date I concluded about 5 days research and showed that
another 1 winner method was far fairer, i.e. more monotonic.

Readers may read the old message of July here: