[EM] Query for Approval advocates

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Sun Aug 31 16:52:02 PDT 2003

At 11:47 AM -0700 8/31/03, Bart Ingles wrote:
>You could say that "B is obviously preferred by *majorities* of people
>over every other option, but even so the "majorities" are merely
>incidental.  B would be the CW without them:
>
>40: A
>10: C>B
>20: C
>35: B>A
>
>Here B is preferred by *pluralities* of people over every other option,
>but is still the CW.
>
>>  Now, the fact that I can point to a method that will select B is a
>>  reason why I would prefer that method to a method that would select
>>  something other then B.
>
>So do you still think the CW should win in the immediately preceding
>example?

There is no good reason I can come up with which would indicate that
B should not win as > 50% (i.e. a majority) of people in your example
prefers B over both C and A.

>  If so, your belief must be based on something other than
>majority, since the only majority above is the 75:30 majority which
>prefer A to C.

This is utterly meaningless as RP does not meet IIA. By ignoring B,
you have essentially provided a completely different example from the
one you gave above.