[EM] Re: Orphaned Voting Method

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Thu Aug 21 11:08:33 PDT 2003

replying to Chris...

>James,
>It is in the archive somewhere at the IRV-freewheeling list. I  think it
>was proposed by Rob Le Grand, mainly as a joke.

Ah, well. I wouldn't really think of it as a joke method myself. As far as
variations on IRV go, I'd say that it is one of the best. Also, the rules
are quite simple and easy to explain to people, more so than most other
Condorcet efficient methods.

>Also as a joke  I
>recently suggested a series of elimination runoffs between the candidate
>with the fewest top preferences versus the candidate with the most last
>preferences.

Yes, I remember this, although I couldn't find that message when I looked
for it before. I prefer the orphan method because the one you propose
could result in a pairwise comparison between one candidate and himself,
which he would be bound to lose. Also, the rules of the orphan method are
simpler.

If you find the url of the message where it was proposed, let me know,
okay? Has anyone thought of a snappy name for this method?

James