[EM] orphaned voting method

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Thu Aug 21 09:19:31 PDT 2003

Dear election methods fans,

	Late one night, as I was walking home, I found a lost voting method
wandering through the streets. I don't know what it's name is, or where it
came from.
	The method is a sort of Condorcet - IRV hybrid, perhaps a bastard child
that they had during a torrid love affair and then threw out into the cold
when they had a falling out and went their separate ways.
	It works like this:

1. Ranked Ballots.
2. Count top choice vote totals.
3. Hold a pairwise comparison between the two candidates with the lowest
top choice vote total.
4. Eliminate the loser of this pairwise competition.
5. Continue until no more candidates can be eliminated. (One candidate
remaining, or a set of tied candidates.)

	This method is Condorcet efficient, in that it will always select a
Condorcet winner, and never select a Condorcet loser.
	I am not suggesting that it is superior to beatpath or ranked pairs (I of
course have examples where it doesn't do what I want it to do), but it is
a good method to keep in mind when discussing variations on IRV. I haven't
evaluated its strategy properties; that might be interesting.

	Does anyone know the name of this method or who invented it? I think that
I read about it somewhere, but I can't remember where.

James