[EM] Re: serious strategy problem in Condorcet, but not in IRV?

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Tue Aug 19 12:51:02 PDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, James Green-Armytage wrote:

> The process of American government now is hardly characterized by very
> scrupulous people who refuse to unfairly take advantage of loopholes in
> the system. There is no reason to expect that it would suddenly become so
> under Condorcet. (I usually think about American government when I think
> of government, because I have lived in America all my life. I imagine that
> this applies to most governments, but I'm not as qualified to say.) A good
> system is one that would minimize the ability of the raging self-interest
> of politicians and power groups to subvert the democratic process to the
> point of useless absurdity.

This is an excellent point, along with many others that I have found
illuminating in this thread.

I would like to point out that it is better to say "USA" or "U.S." when
referring to the U.S. since many other countries in the north and south
American continents consider themselves to be "American."

When I was in Argentina, and was asked where I was from, at first I said
that I was from America.

"Norte-america or sudamerica?"

If north, then Mexico, Canada, or USA?

South of the border USA is pronounced "ooh suh" which has the same vowel
sounds as the word tuba.

Forest