[EM] serious strategy problem in Condorcet, but not in IRV?

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Tue Aug 19 09:51:52 PDT 2003

At 12:31 PM -0400 8/19/03, James Green-Armytage wrote:
>I agree that it is a very serious problem to force voters to make this
>kind of compromising choices on a regular basis, as plurality clearly
>does. But what Monroe is concerned with is more so the "burying" strategy,
>and its possible consequences. In this particular example, what would
>worry him (I think) is that A and B voters will both try to get a bury
>each other, and will inadvertently elect C as a result, which I agree
>would be a public disaster.

But, would this really be *the* disaster or just another symptom of
something that has already gone horribly wrong?

Still seems to me that it can only be a just another symptom of
something that has already gone horribly wrong - as the vast majority
no longer have an interest in finding the legitimate winner, but are
now only interested in finding how they can manipulate the voting
method to cause their candidate to win.

However, the sole reason for hope is that these manipulations can far
to easily backfire causing either the most hated candidate to win
(i.e. C in the case described) or your primary opponent (A or B) to
win.

There has been some concern about polls...however, it seems to me
this concern has been exaggerated. Why? Well, what would become a
natural part of such manipulations would be not providing accurate
information to the poll takers either...manipulating the polls would
simply be part one of manipulating the voting method.

The only way to be certain is with near-perfect information on how
people will vote and obtaining such information is darn near
impossible and would almost certainly involve criminal activity.

The only rational choice a rational voter can therefore make is to
put into place a method which can find the correct winner, based on
sincere votes, and to vote sincerely.