[EM] The Coming California Single Seat Election

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Sun Aug 17 13:27:02 PDT 2003

At 1:43 PM -0500 8/17/03, Adam Tarr wrote:
>>Well, since Condorcet is (to the best of my knowledge) never used in
>>public elections and rarely used in private groups, I don't know whether
>>the 0.5 votes each is a standard convention or not.  It wouldn't change
>>the margins, so it would be applicable to margins methods.  Certainly it
>>would be necessary for winning votes methods.
>
>No, absolutely not.  When you add half-votes, the results for
>winning votes become identical to margins.  The whole point of
>winning votes is you only count the votes FOR the candidate in a
>pairwise contest.

I agree with Adam and this is why I do not add the .5 vote thing
within my implementation. For a voter to have a say in any pairwise
contest, they must provide unambiguous information concerning that
contest...otherwise, I will assume nothing about what their opinion
might be.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu