[EM] The Coming California Single Seat Election

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Sun Aug 17 11:44:01 PDT 2003

>Well, since Condorcet is (to the best of my knowledge) never used in
>public elections and rarely used in private groups, I don't know whether
>the 0.5 votes each is a standard convention or not.  It wouldn't change
>the margins, so it would be applicable to margins methods.  Certainly it
>would be necessary for winning votes methods.

No, absolutely not.  When you add half-votes, the results for winning votes
become identical to margins.  The whole point of winning votes is you only
count the votes FOR the candidate in a pairwise contest.

Think about it - if you add a half vote for every equal ranking, then the
pairwise results will ievitably end as 50+(m/2)% against 50-(m/2)%, where m
is the margin.  So you haven't changed the margin total (like you said),
but you've made the winning votes total a linear function of the
margins.  So any method that resolves cyclic ties by comparing
defeat-strength will do the same thing in winning votes with half-votes for
ties as it would in margins (with or without half-votes).

I'm pretty sure you don't mean to start a winning-votes vs. margins debate,
so I'll keep this brief - using winning votes to evaluate defeat-strength
gets rid of the strategic incentive to insincerely truncate your ballot in
nearly all situations.

>Maybe
>there's also a strategic advantage from intransitive rankings, and Donald
>wants voters to have access to that option by allowing them to vote A>B,
>B>C, C>A.

Well, I don't think that's what Donald wants.  Moreover, it seems absurd to
give an individual voter the ability to submit an ambiguous ballot.  Cyclic
ties can make sense for an electorate, but they can't make sense for a sane
individual.

-Adam