[EM] issues IRV Condorcet Approval

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Wed Aug 13 08:18:02 PDT 2003

At 11:06 AM -0400 8/13/03, James Green-Armytage wrote:
>  >>I don't think so, assuming that they will also be approving all of the
>>>candidates whom they like better than that candidate. So the addition of
>>>their ballot won't help the less-liked candidate beat any of the
>>>more-liked candidates -- it will be neutral in that regard. Thus it will
>>>make the outcome neither better nor worse from their point of view.
>
>"Eric Gorr" <eric at ericgorr.net> writes:
>>
>>Who says it was less-liked by the majority of the population?
>>
>>We are talking about only a few voters or even just a single voters
>>point of view.
>
>Perhaps I was being too terse. When I said "less-liked" and "more liked" I
>meant by that one voter, or set of a few voters, not by the majority. Does
>my statement make sense now?
>
>Let's say a few people approve a candidate lower on their sincere ranking
>list (a list in their heads, not on the ballot), who ends up beating a
>candidate higher on their sincere ranking list, by just a few votes.
>
>Yes, those people will regret approving the less-favored (by them)
>candidate. However, if you delete their ballots from the count, they will
>not change the outcome such that their more-favored candidate will win.
>
>They cast one vote each for the less-favored, and one vote each for the
>more-favored. The effect of their ballot on the competition between those
>candidates is zero, and so deleting the ballots won't help them.

Let's say, we have something like:

03 AB
01 C

Now, either A or B is going to win.

However, there is one last ballot to count. The person casting this
ballot would greatly prefer that A wins, but sets the cutoff to
include B.

A & B still tie.

Tie is resolved in B's favor.

That voter ended up with a worse result from their point of view by
participating and setting the cutoff in the wrong place.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu