[EM] Code of Honor for Reform Acivists:

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Mon Aug 11 22:04:08 PDT 2003

Donald said:
> For myself, while I prefer Irving, if a reform group in my jurisdiction
> were to mount a petition drive to install Approval or Condorcet, I would
> do the following:
>
>   * I would sign their petition.
>   * I would collect signatures.
>   * I would tell everyone that the proposal is an improvement.
>   * I would encourage everyone to vote for it.
>   * I would vote for it.

I agree with Donald (commence flaming now).

My personal preference is Approval>IRV>plurality, and to some here that
alone is heresy.  Moreover, I believe that any real improvement is, well,
real improvement.  And I suspect that IRV will spur demands for PR, as
third parties are able to give better showings.  With 3 or more parties
beating 15%, the flaws of single-member districts will become much more
glaring than they are right now.

Anyway, I have no doubt that people will fiercely disagree with Donald,
but I'm going to voice my agreement with him.

Alex