[EM] IRV and Plurality

Anthony Duff anthony_duff at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 7 16:59:26 PDT 2003

I concur will what Chris Benham (Date: Wed, 06 Aug
2003) wrote.

 --- Kevin Venzke <stepjak at yahoo.fr> wrote: > Chris,

> Good points.
>
>  --- Chris Benham <chrisbenham at bigpond.com> a écrit
> :
> > For a start I think all  good  election methods
> should allow and be
> > able to handle  the voter fully ranking all the
> candidates. On being
> > offered a voter's full ranking a method should
> either respond :
> >  (a) "Fine, I can handle that, that's all I need"
> (ranked ballot
> > or
> >  (b) " I will accept that and probably that  is
> all I will be interested
> > but  NOT
> >  (c) " I can't handle that and I won't accept it.
> I  will only accept
>
> Myself, I would insist that an election method be
> able to accept an Approval
> ballot as valid, i.e., equal rankings in first
> place.  So I would fail IRV
> here.

I don't see why IRV should be unable to accept equal
rankings, including, for example, a ballot indicating
all candidates ranked either 1st or 2nd.

> You make a good case that IRV>Plurality in this
> respect, but I still think it's
> unacceptable.

Unacceptable is such a clumsy word.
If faced with choosing between plurality and IRV, as
Americans currently are, which would you choose, or
would you abstain?

Anthony

-  New people, new possibilities! Try Yahoo! Personals, FREE for a limited period!