[EM] Viability (finding the odds after you've voted)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Aug 4 12:59:04 PDT 2003

Here's a rule that agrees with the MinMax (third refinement) rule for five
and fewer slots, but might be more clone proof in general:

We seek to find two adjacent slots to merge in a list of slots of various
viabilities.

Let X be the slot not in the center of the list with the greatest
viability.  If X is above center, then let L be the list of slots below X,
otherwise let L be the list of slots above X.

Apply this procedure recursively to L.

Stop when the recursive list L gets down to two slots.

This rule is motivated more by the "approve down to the front runner,
inclusive only when the second place guy is below front runner" strategy
than by Weinstein's max voting power strategy.

Forest