[EM] Postscript:2nd Query for Approval advocates

John B. Hodges jbhodges at usit.net
Thu Aug 7 13:46:03 PDT 2003

I wrote:
So, my 2nd query to Approval advocates: Can we make strictly-ranked
Bucklin perform as a method of PR for multiseat elections? This
approach would replace "One person, one transferable vote" with "One
person, one vote per round." Voters submit ranked ballots, no ties
allowed. BUT, by compensation, repeat votes for the same candidate
ARE allowed.

Postscript: it occurs to me that allowing repeat votes for the same
candidate ON THE BALLOT is not necessary. To get the effect I'm
after, it is sufficient that unelected candidate's first-round votes
are carried over to the second, and so forth, SO THAT THE VOTES
ACCUMULATE. The voter's ballots are straight rankings of the
candidates. The ballots of ALL voters are counted once each round.
Ballots are counted toward the total of the highest-ranked candidate
still in the race, i.e. not already awarded a seat. So, on the second
round, IF the voter's first-choice has already GOTTEN a seat, their
vote goes to their second choice. If their first choice DIDN'T get a
seat on the first round, their vote goes AGAIN to their first choice.

First-round votes are tallied; all candidates who get more than a
Droop quota are awarded a seat. If there are seats remaining, THE
DROOP QUOTA IS RECALCULATED, second-round votes are tallied AND ADDED
to candidate totals. If there are still open seats, the Droop quota
is recalculated, third-round votes are tallied, and so forth. If
there are at any stage more candidates exceeding quota than there are
open seats, the seats go to the candidates with the highest totals.

So. Let the dissection begin. I hope the idea survives, or some
variation of it is found to be successful.