[EM] Alphabetical ballot

Elisabeth Varin/Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 20 16:49:51 PDT 2002

Very nice Forest,

> A ballot might look like
>
> Shade One Grade per Candidate as well as (optional) Plus or Minus Signs:
>
> John Brown   A B C D E F G H J K L M N P Q R S T U V W X Y Z  +  -
> Josie Rose   A B C D E F G H J K L M N P Q R S T U V W X Y Z  +  -
>
> [etc.]

but I have some remarks.
First why remove I and O if the ballots is presented like that?
I do not think there can be confusion...
Next, I doubt we really need + and - signs because there is rarelly
26 candidates or more, but in case it is a solution.
Finally do you have any idea how to let the voter put Demorep's (yes/no)

limit so to use residual approval weights?
A voter could draw a big vertical bar? With informatics it would work...

For 9 candidates, it could look like:

Shade at Most One Grade per Candidate
And Indicate your Limit (|) Between Acceptable and Undesirable
Candidates:

Amy  Jones         A     B     C     D     E     F     G      H     I
Barbara Smith     A     B     C     D     E     F     G      H     I
Charles Jones      A     B     C     D     E     F     G      H     I
Daniel Smith        A     B     C     D     E     F     G      H     I
Eve Jones            A     B     C     D     E     F     G      H     I
Fibbie Smith         A     B     C     D     E     F     G      H     I
Georges Jones      A     B     C     D     E     F     G      H     I
Harry Smith          A     B     C     D     E     F     G      H     I
Isabel Jones          A     B     C     D     E     F     G      H     I

An example of completed ballot:

Shade at Most One Grade per Candidate
And Indicate your Limit (|) Between Acceptable and Undesirable
Candidates:

Amy  Jones         A     B     C     D     #   |   F     G      H     I
Barbara Smith     A     B     C     D     E   |   F     G      #      I
Charles Jones      #      B     C     D     E   |   F     G      H     I

Daniel Smith        A     B     C     D     E   |   F     G      H     I

Eve Jones            A     #      C     D     E   |   F     G      H
Fibbie Smith         A     B     #      D     E   |   F     G      H
Georges Jones      A     B     C     D     E   |   F     G      H     I
Harry Smith          A     #     C     D     E   |   F     G      H
Isabel Jones          A     B     C     D     E   |   #     G      H

that we would translate as:
Charles(yes) > Eve(yes) = Harry(yes) > Fibbie(yes) > Amy(yes) >
Isabel(no) > Barbara(no) > Daniel(no) ? Georges(no)

I know some would prefer to put unranked Candidates as neutral but
how could we attribute them a (yes/no) index?
It does not bother me because I treat the no indicator
not as a negative vote. Using negative votes is like giving someone
the opportunity to deny someone else any representation.
In other words a 45 - 23 result is very different and shall not
have the same consequences as a 25 - 3 result. It produces
the same outcome for single-winner contests, but it should not
for fair (proportional) multiple winners methods.

Steph.