[EM] Another Message for the Libertarian Party News

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Fri Sep 6 08:19:50 PDT 2002

Here's another opportunity to send election-methods related input to the
LP News Pulse section:  The question is, should Libertarians cooperate
with the Green Party as fellow opponents of the status quo, or resist them
vigorously due to the differences between the parties?

My response was that on election reform issues all third parties have a
common stake, and hence should cooperate on these issues.  I figure that
the more input the LP receives in favor of better election methods, the
more likely they are to make it a major issue on the level of drugs and
taxes.  Anyway, if you're interested in sending input to the LP Pulse,
send it to Bill.Winter at hq.lp.org.  Below is what I sent:

P.S.  I wonder how many of the Pulse questions we can twist around to
raise the issue of election reform.  It's been done for questions on the
LP Platform and now the Greens.  Let's give a prize to whoever can work it
into questions related to drugs, guns, or taxes!

Re:  Embrace the Greens?

Whether you think the Greens are merely misguided or the embodiment of
evil, all third parties should agree on election reform issues:  ballot
access, debate access, proportional representation, and better methods
for single-winner races.  Libertarians, Greens, and other third parties
should combine their resources and co-nominate candidates for Secretary
of State (the office responsible for elections in most states).  Without
these key reforms there will be very few Libertarians in elected offices
above the local level.

Alex Small
Goleta, CA

----