Reply to Tom Mull, re: IRV

Tom Mull tommull at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 30 16:23:17 PST 2002

Hello Mike and Alex,
	I am familiar with approval voting and I have heard of condorcet (and other
methods as well). I am not as in to the technical details as so many here on
this list seem to be, so I will have to mostly lurk and absorb what I can in
time. I am aware that IRV is not without its flaws--the same with any
system. I am interested in voting reform and in giving primary attention to
how we vote and organize our government. What is the one best way to elect
single and multiple positions may be moot but I think we need to move from
plurality voting. We also need to give consideration to what is workable and
has some history of use to sell it to legislators and the voting public. My
primary information, so far, comes from the books: "Real Choices/New Voices"
, "Behind the Ballot Box" by Douglas Amy and "Fixing Elections" by Steven
Hill. I have also logged on to the CVD and other web sites for info. Again,
I am not so much the mathematical technical type, I am smart enough the get
the principal of the thing and go from there. The bottom line is what is
workable. I would like to see some kind of PR scheme use in all levels of
government that affect me in legislative bodies and city/county committies,
and some kind of a scheme for single office positions such as runoffs, IRV,