[EM] 05/16/02 - More Code Words:

Michael Rouse mrouse at cdsnet.net
Thu May 16 07:35:13 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donald Davison" <donald at mich.com>
To: "[EM]" <election-methods-list at eskimo.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 4:54 AM
Subject: [EM] 05/16/02 - More Code Words:

> The words `compromise candidate' are also code words and they mean that
the
> best method would be a method that will not elect the first two
candidates,
> but instead it is to elect the third candidate over top of the first two -
> even if the third candidate `doesn't have a pot to piss in' when it comes
> to votes (like elect Nader over Bush and Gore).

The majority of those who voted for Bush would prefer Gore to Nader, and the
majority of those who voted for Nader would prefer Gore to Bush. Under such
circumstances, Gore, not Nader, would be the compromise candidate.

FPTP
48% Bush
48% Gore
4% Nader (or whatever he really got)

Ranked ballot (I'm assuming voters base their ballot order on how close they
are to candidates are on the political spectrum)

48% Bush Gore Nader
24% Gore Bush Nader
24% Gore Nader Bush
4% Nader Gore Bush

Gore - Bush: 52-48
Gore - Nader: 96 - 4
Bush - Nader 72 - 28
Gore is overall winner, Bush is second, Nader is still third.

If you still want to argue against the evils of compromise, you might throw
McCain in as a compromise candidate between Bush and Gore.

Michael Rouse
mrouse at cdsnet.net

----