[EM] 05/16/02 - More Code Words:

Donald Davison donald at mich.com
Thu May 16 04:54:28 PDT 2002

05/16/02 - More Code Words:

Greetings list members,

Forest Simmons wrote: "Saying that "Condorcet Winner" is a code word for a
particular method is like saying that "Majority Winner" is a code word for
some particular
method."

Dear Forest, when you're right, you're right.

There is a code word term that includes the words `majority and winner'.

The term `true majority winner' are code words meaning that Approval Voting
is to be the standard to examine an election method and that the Approval
winner would be the `true majority winner' regardless of the fact that it
is mathematically impossible for any candidate to have a majority of the
votes when the voters cast two or more votes each.
    A majority of the voters is not a majority of the votes.  The code
words `true majority winner' really means `bogus majority winner'.

The words `compromise candidate' are also code words and they mean that the
best method would be a method that will not elect the first two candidates,
but instead it is to elect the third candidate over top of the first two -
even if the third candidate `doesn't have a pot to piss in' when it comes
to votes (like elect Nader over Bush and Gore).

Regards,
   Donald Davison, host of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald
                        Candidate Election Methods
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                        Q U O T A T I O N                          |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |        except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."   |
   |                           - Age 10 -                              |
    APV   Approval Voting
    ATV   Alternative Vote  aka  IRV Instant Runoff Voting  aka  IRVing
    FPTP  First Past The Post  aka  Plurality
    NOTA  None of the Above  aka  RON Re-Open Nominations
    STV   Single Transferable Vote  aka  Choice Voting  aka  Hare-Clark
          aka  Preference Voting  aka  Hare Preferential Voting

Please be advised that sending email to me allows me to quote from it
and/or forward the entire email to others.

----