[EM] Getting to know you...

Joe Weinstein jweins123 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 12 12:36:40 PST 2002

Alex (et al.)

I loved your pro-AV piece.  I think it will work about as is - may I use
with attribution?

Yes, I too would like to meet with other EM-people within reasonable
distance here in southern or maybe in central California.

Please propose a few weekend days - or even weekday evenings;  we can always
counterpropose.

Our house in Long Beach is in a pleasant residential neighborhood, but near
stores and restaurants, near the crossing of I405 and I710.  We  have a
good-size living room and back yard, which likely would do quite well for a
gathering, small or large.

My wife and I both work, so we often have weekend plans, but these are
mostly at home.  We would still be available either to host a group at home
or to come to another private house or public place - e.g. hiking trail or
museum or botanical garden - elsewhere in greater LA.

By the way, Long Beach has one nice natural area, good for strolling in
woods and by waters, but the city is mostly terribly flat and asphalt, so
biweekly I jealously reserve a large chunk of a weekend day for a mountain
hike in the San Gabriels.  At the tamest, I go a third or half or all the
way up the old Mt Wilson Toll Road.  The road starts at stroll-worthy Eaton
Canyon in Pasadena, a city which has a Peet's Coffee and the Norton Simon
museum and other good stuff.

A non-weekend alternative might be built around the fact that at 7 PM every
month's second Thursday, at Borders Books at Los Altos Mall in Long Beach,
there meets EcoLink, a coalition of local environmental organizations and
activists.

(Another long-shot alternative for us could be upcoast in Central Calif., as
a brief stop during an occasional weekend trip to see my parents and sister
in the East SF Bay or our son in Santa Cruz.  On our way we  dine at Good
Earth in Goleta, Thai places in San Luis Obispo, or - especially - Robyn's
in Cambria; or maybe picnic in Pinnacles Natl. Monumt.)

Joe Weinstein
Long Beach CA USA