[EM] Re: Observations of a Poll Worker

Jurij Toplak jure.toplak at uni-mb.si
Fri Mar 8 11:45:32 PST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>
To: <election-methods-list at eskimo.com>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 7:31 PM
Subject: Re: [EM] Re: Observations of a Poll Worker

> On Fri, 08 Mar 2002 15:32:35 +0100 Jurij Toplak wrote:
>
> > Seven years ago I studied in US and I obtained driving license there. Of
> > course, I am not a US citizen. Last week I received a voter registration
> > form. If I fill it out and return it, does that mean that I can vote?
> >
> Are you into lying about whether you are a citizen?

I guess you did not get my point. I wanted to say that this doesn't look
like a good system to me if everyone can just register to vote even if he is
not a citizen. Does that mean that anyone that lies and sais that he is a
citizen can vote?! In our country, for example, we don't have voter
registration at all. We have a list of all citizens and all the people on
the list can vote. But US system really looks strange to me. It looks like
government does not have a data on who is a citizen and who is not. And to
answer to your question - no, I am not into lying about whether I am a
citizen because I dont have any wish to vote on US elections.

Jurij