[EM] Not logical electoral system?

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Wed Jan 30 10:11:15 PST 2002

With good will this looks like d'Hondt's method. You divide each party's
vote successively by 1,2,3,..7. But the "common divisor" cannot be the 28th
quotient, it must be the 7th one in descending order. If you divide each
party's vote with this number and truncate the number, the result gives the
number of seats for the party. Unfortunately your example is somewhat
problematic because there's a tie.

It's easiest to try this with a spreadsheet. (My settings have a decimal
comma.)

	A	B	C	D
1	600	500	400	300
2	300	250	200	150
3	200	166,67	133,33	100
4	150	125	100	75
5	120	100	80	60
6	100	83,33	66,67	50
7	85,71	71,49	57,14	42,86

The 7th quotient is 200. The problem is that the 8th quotient is also 200.
Both A and C are equally entitled to the 7th seat. You have to have some
means to resolve the tie. In this country we use the lot.

If you divide the votes of the parties with 200 and drop the fractional
part, you get A: 3, B: 2, C: 2 and D: 1, which would show the number of
seats for each party if it wasn't for the tie.

According to Finnish law, we just count as many topmost quotients as are
needed. The extra division is unnecessary and it's easier to see which
parties tie for a seat.

Olli Salmi