[EM] Consensus?: IRV vs. Primary w/Runoff

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 11:16:07 PST 2002

Do we have a consensus that the instant runoff vote (IRV) is MATHEMATICALLY
better than the common two step plurality vote (primary) with a follow-up
runoff between the 2 top plurality vote getters? It seems to me that it cannot
be worse, given that manipulation is bad. As far as I can see, the only
mathematically provable difference between them is that IRV is less
manipulatable. They share the same faults, including non-monotonicity. With 3
candidates, I believe they are mathematically identical.

=====
"Democracy"?:
	http://www1.umn.edu/irp/images/postcardAd2.jpg
AR-NewsWI, a news service for Wisconsin animal advocates: