Finding the probable best candidate

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 14:22:56 PST 2002

Forest:

Saari's approach doesn't seem to be to "maximize" this or that fairness
criterion at all. It is not an "axiomatic" approach. Instead, he strictly
focuses on the ballots themselves, and looks for symmetries, such as reversals
and circular triplets, which should cancel out and produce complete ties. He
scrutinizes all positional and pairwise procedures on those grounds, and
iterative extensions of those methods.

SB

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:48:25 -0800 (PST)
> From: Forest Simmons <fsimmons at pcc.edu>
> To: Election_Methods-list <election-methods-list at eskimo.com>
> Subject: Re: Finding the probable best candidate
>
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Steve Barney wrote:
>

> > Most preferred according to the information in the ordinal preference
> ballots.

[...]