Finding the probable best candidate

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Feb 20 08:48:25 PST 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Steve Barney wrote:

> Most preferred according to the information in the ordinal preference ballots.

I don't think you are saying that we should choose the candidate that
contributes the most (or least) information to the ballot.

Example:

51 A>B>C>D
49 D>B>A>C

B's rank is constant, and therefore contributes the least information. D's
rank has the most variation, and therefore contributes the most
information. Yet A is the winner according to Borda.

Just what aspect of the information are we supposed to maximize to find
the "best candidate according to the information"?

Forest