Finding the probable best candidate?

Steve Barney barnes992001 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 16:38:18 PST 2002

Forest:

The plurality procedure is the only positional method which always elects a
majority candidate when one exists; therefore, one could argue that it is the
positional procedure which maximizes the election of a majority candidate.

SB

--- In election-methods-list at y..., Forest Simmons <fsimmons at p...> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Blake Cretney wrote:

[...]
> > By best candidate I really mean the best candidate.  That is, the
> > candidate that would provide the best government.  The candidate we
> > should hope the voters would elect.
>
> I know what you mean, but it is useful to have something measureable to
> maximize so that we can see how close we are to the ideal.
>

> > Perhaps I could just define it as the winner of a plurality election?
> > This is just defining the problem away.
>
> But what does the plurality candidate maximize?
>
> Forest
[...]

=====
"Democracy"?:
	http://www1.umn.edu/irp/images/postcardAd2.jpg
AR-NewsWI, a news service for Wisconsin animal advocates:
Favorite Quote:
	"They talk about this thing in the head; what do thay call it? ["Intellect," whispered somebody nearby.] That's it. What's that got to do with women's rights or Negroes' rights? If my cup won't hold but a pint and yours hold a quart, wouldn't you be mean not to let me have my little half-measure full?"
--Sojourner Truth