Finding the probable best candidate?

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu Feb 21 11:10:36 PST 2002

>Could you post those examples where RP and not SSD produces those
>"seemingly undesirable results"?

I can't find those old messages in my archives, but here's a very simple
example:

49: Bush
24: Gore
27: Nader,Gore

Bush beats Nader 49-27
Nader beats Gore 27-24
Gore beats Bush 51-49

With ranked pairs, the Gore-Bush defeat is overturned, and Bush wins,
despite a true majority preferring Gore to Bush.  In SSD the Nader-Gore
defeat gets overturned, and Gore wins, which seems more intuitive to me.
---
D- Bush has a last place majority.

Nader beats Gore 27-24 (if nonvotes are not counted) or 51.5 - 48.5 (if Nader
and Gore are deemed tied by the 49 Bush voters).

The example is the general divided majority example --

Maj1  A>B
Maj2  B>A
Min    C

Total

Maj1 plus Maj2 = Majority
Min = Minority

Some or all of the Minority (C) may insincerely vote for the perceived lesser
of 2 evils (A and B) in the Majority.

How many other methods fail a simple majority test -- first place, last place
or any other place ???