Open and Closed Lists (was ...STV for Candidate...)

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Wed Feb 13 19:10:33 PST 2002

Mr. Salmi wrote-

You seem to disapprove of the Droop quota. I don't think we can really
avoid wasted votes
----
D- For legislative body elections there can be proxy p.r. -- NO wasted votes.

Sample  3 seats, 100 voters

Final results (after vote transfers from losers) --

   Voting Power

B  40
E  35
G  25

  100

STV/Droop would have the winners getting 26 each with 22 wasted votes.

Expand the math for larger legislative bodies.

Of course, for executive/judicial elections there may be 50 percent minus 1
wasted votes -- See each U.S.A. President election since 1832 --- with some
President losers even getting more popular votes than the de facto winner
(due to the totally evil ANTI-Democracy machinations of the Electoral
College) -- as in Nov. 2000.