02/06/02 - Adam's 02/02 example of three equal candidates:

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Wed Feb 6 15:58:43 PST 2002

Adam wrote in part-

 Example: if a majority prefers candidate A to all others, can they make sure
candidate A wins?
---
D- Of course.

Vote YES for A and NO for every other choice.

A wins.

In reality land --- as with the left(er)/ right(er) wings of both the
Democrats/ Republicans --- there may not be a simple YES majority for only
one choice.

Thus --- the divided majority problem, sincere/ insincere  desired/
compromise votes (especially for 2nd or later choices) and the various
strategies connected with any particular method to resolve such problem.

FFrom election-methods-list-request at eskimo.com  Wed Feb  6 18:01:16 2002