[EM] IRV in WA state

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Tue Feb 5 22:10:04 PST 2002

I would have agreed with you as recently as a year ago, but I now see
Hare (aka IRV) as a sort of dead end in a rat maze.  It won't help elect
any third party candidates (look at Australia's lower house).  And it
will neutralize any ability of third parties to influence policy
(although 3rd parties have been less than adept at using this power).
And once in place it will be an impediment to more meaningful reform.

About the most Hare/IRV would do for third parties is to make it easier
to get enough votes to qualify for matching funds -- assuming the vote
requirements aren't raised to compensate.  Hardly worth being stuck with
a system you will have to campaign to remove later on.

(Actually the Libertarian Party has been ambivalent on the question of
even accepting matching funds.)