Re:[EM] IRV in WA state

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 5 18:59:03 PST 2002

>Anybody else interested in trying to speak out on this? Despite our
>lack of consensus on many things, I think almost all of us feel that
>IRVing is far from optimal in single winner elections.

Personally, I am so thirsty for a viable third party that if an IRV
initiative came to CA I would vote for it.  I would get involved early on
and encourage the organizers to consider Condorcet, Approval, or Cardinal
Ratings, but if it became clear that the voting reform momentum was behind
IRV I'd back it.

Progress is about improvement, not perfection.  There are many types of
change:  Small steps backward, small steps forward, big steps backward, big
steps forward, and status quo.

Of course, if one believes that IRV is worse than plurality, then I don't
fault that person for campaigning against it.  I'm a libertarian, so follow
your conscience.

Alex Small