[EM] Re:Definitions for Comparing Voting Power

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 5 21:26:20 PST 2002

Demorep-

Slow down, buddy.  I don't like the EC any more than you do.  But when I
introduce some definitions of voting power in the language of set theory
there's no need to remind us that one day a minority winner will start a
civil war.  Take a deep breathe....

Please don't take offense, I like your posts.  I was just hoping to hear
something like "Your definitions of voting power have some loopholes that
lead to paradoxes."  Besides, to argue against an institution like the EC
it's worthwhile to understand it quantitatively.

For instance, the Banzhaf measure says that people in Wyoming have less
power than people in California under the EC.  That sort of analysis might
persuade people in small states to oppose the EC, and we need 38 states to
abolish the EC.  All I'm trying to do is see if there's a more axiomatic
way to approach the question rather than relying on Monte-Carlo simulations.

Alex Small